10 Most Famous English Actors
The 10 most famous English actors have made names for themselves worldwide. These men have both become legends in cinema as well as popular actors in mainstream releases. Whether these men are starring in the latest summer blockbuster or the critically acclaimed Indie movie, they remain some of the best actors working today.
- Daniel Day Lewis – Daniel Day Lewis is one of the most awarded famous English actors. A notoriously picky actor, Lewis has starred in only ten movies since winning his first Oscar for “My Left Foot” in 1989. Out of those ten movies, he picked up four Oscar nominations.
- Liam Neeson – Liam Neeson earned an Oscar nomination for his role in the 1994 film “Schindler’s List.” Since that time, he has become one of the most famous English actors thanks to roles in the “Star Wars” prequels as well as remakes of “The A-Team” and “Clash of the Titans.”
- Gary Oldman – Since turning heads with his role as Sid Vicious in the biopic “Sid and Nancy,” Gary Oldman has appeared in many popular movies, normally as one of the best actors in them. He has appeared in “Dracula,” “The Dark Knight” and the “Harry Potter” movie franchise.
- Anthony Hopkins – Anthony Hopkins remains one of the most respected English actors in the history of cinema. He has appeared in many prestigious roles, including a supporting turn in “Amistad” but won his sole Academy Award for his performance in the thriller movie “Silence of the Lambs.”
- Ralph Fiennes – Ralph Fiennes turned a lot of heads with his Oscar nominated performances in “Schindler’s List” and “The English Patient.” However, the one role that made him one of the most famous English actors working today is the role of Lord Voldemort in the “Harry Potter” franchise.
- Colin Firth – For many years, Colin Firth was known to many movie fans as Mr. Darcy, thanks to his career defining role in the BBC miniseries “Pride & Prejudice.” However, recently he has become more famous thanks to Oscar nominations for “A Single Man” and “The King’s Speech.”
- Alan Rickman – Alan Rickman became a genre favorite thanks to his role as Hans Gruber in the first “Die Hard” movie. He has since become one of the most famous English actors thanks to his role as Snape in the “Harry Potter” franchise.
- Jude Law – Known almost as much for his tabloid affairs as his acting, Jude Law remains one of England’s most famous actors. Highlights of his career include supporting roles in films like “Sherlock Holmes” and “A.I.” He has also earned two Oscar nominations for “Cold Mountain” and “The Talented Mr. Ripley.”
- James McAvoy – James McAvoy became famous in America after appearing in the Oscar nominated “The Last King of Scotland” and used that movie to help launch his Hollywood career. He has since appeared in the blockbuster “Wanted” and will appear in “X-Men: First Class” as Professor X.
- Ewan McGregor – Ewan McGregor’s career grew in popularity thanks to roles in Danny Boyle films, such as “Shallow Grave” and “Trainspotting.” He later became one of the most famous English actors thanks to the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi in the “Star Wars” prequels.