Labor Minister: No Survivors from Mexico Mine Blast

Mexico’s labor minister says there were no survivors from Tuesday’s deadly explosion at a a coal mine in the northern part of the country.

Javier Lozana posted Thursday on his twitter site that there was “no hope of life” among the 14 miners who were working inside the facility at the time of the blast.

He told reporters a sixth body had been pulled from the site Thursday. Eight more miners remain missing.

Authorities say a methane gas buildup caused the explosion, which was powerful enough to severely injure a teenage boy working outside the mine.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon has ordered the attorney general’s office to open an investigation into the blast.

The mine had been in operation since last month. Local news reports have said the facility belongs to the mining company BINSA.

In 2006, an explosion at another mine in the state left 65 miners dead. The bodies of most of the victims in that accident were never recovered.